Sunday, March 1, 2009

What is in a number?

Seriously, what do numbers really mean.. Ok I have a very dear friend- a frequent commenter to my blog that is a self proclaimed numbers guy. He and I have been friends since the 7th grade and he has been a numbers guy since I have known him, so I am sure he will read this and go "what is she talking about" .
Really what do numbers means?
Do the numbers on the scale really give a measure of who we are?
Do the numbers on the calendar really mean anything?
What does it mean when a doctor tells you that you have 18 months to live?

Tomorrow is my 45th birthday- what does that mean? Does it mean I am old? Does that mean my life is 1/2 over?

I don't know the answers to these questions but what I do know is that 45 and ever birthday here after are a cause to celebrate.

In 1993, after 11 months of tests and feeling miserable, I was diagnosed with bi-lateral functioning adrenal adnomias, which causes Cushing's disease. The doctors explained that I probably had about 18- 22 months to live. They also explained that most Cushing's patients usually take their own lives before they can get to the natural ending point. GREAT right?
For a while I believed them and lived like a person waiting to die.

I am truly blessed with some of the greatest friends in the world. I have people in my life that I have been friends with since Jr High, High School, and College, as well as the new ones that come into my life regularly.
One of these friends- saved my life.
At the same time I was being diagnosed he was enrolling in Life University to be a Chiropractor. On one of his breaks he came to visit me- and took me kicking and screaming to my first Chiropractic appointment.
That Chiropractor adjusted me 5 days a week for about 6 months.

My body started to move again- my Joints stopped feeling like they were full of concrete. There was HOPE.

Life then took a some twists and turns. My Mom learned she had cancer, my Dad had already had 2 heart attacks by that point. My Mom needed someone to help take care of her and Dad. Three weeks before my Mom died Dad had his 3rd heart attack on the deck of their house, breaking his femur in the process.
Once his heart was stable the Doctors did surgery to put a rod into that leg, and sent him to a Physical Therapy facility, Mom deteriorated and had to be put into the hospital- it was difficult having 2 parents in 2 hospitals at the same time. My brother and sister in law has 10 month old baby at the time, and I was the prioriry one taking care of both of my parents.
2Months after my Mom passed Dad had a 4th heart attack- unfortunately he was driving at the time- and had many many injuries - most serious was that he shattered that femur in 27 places. After 4 surgeries at Shock trauma he was moved back into a Physical Therapy Center where he spent 2 months learning to walk again.
Over the next 4 years he need 14 more surgeries to try and save that leg, eventually it had to be amputated.
Three years later his 5 th heart attack took him, he died in my arms in our living room.

Not a month later my husband who had been suffering for a number years with heart conditions and diabetes suffered a stroke at home, and then 5 more in the hospital and became bedridden, needed the care and attention an infant needs. I became his priory caregiver, handling all his needs.

All the while I handled all this with great chiropractic care and the knowledge that some how this was all part of Gods plan for me.

Having gone thur all this and survived I no longer fear that 2 grape sized tumors are going to take my life.

45 Isn't such a bad number.. In many ways I have a new lease on life- I am 80 pounds less then I was 6 months ago, I just joined a gym, I am eating health and moving around more.
I have a goal for my life:
I have 2 amazing nephews- they are 13 and 8, my goal is to see them both graduate from high school, and college, get married, and I want to hold their babies in my arms. ( Ok boys I know you both read my blog at times - there is absolutely NO RUSH on any of these things- I plan on being here a long long time. Enjoying your antics that drive your Dad crazy)

Those wonderful friends that I am blessed with have been helping me celebrate my life, encouraging my weight loss, and enjoying the ride with me.

45 its a number and what do numbers really mean?

Life is a journey- enjoy the ride.







2 comments:

judycolby said...

I came across your blog and have done some reading here. But I have to ask, have the doctors never mentioned surgery to get rid of your Cushing's. Even though you have tumors on the adrenals, have they checked your pituitary? It's possible to have tumors both places.

Gigi said...

I know this is a tad early but by the time you read this, it won't be: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR TERRY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!