Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Listening to our bodies

Listening to our bodies

My coach and I talk a lot about listening to Innate – Innate is the intelligence in all of us that tells us what our bodies need. Unfortunately we also have a bad little voice in our heads that tell us we need bad stuff.

I like to think of this as the Angel and Devil on each shoulder. The Angel/Innate tells us what we need in any given moment and only wants us to succeed. The Devil/the story we tell ourselves about ourselves- tells us the stuff to sabotage ourselves. My story as I have shared before is that I am worthless and don’t deserve the good. That story will never go away- it’s just a matter of learning to recognize when that voice is talking and ignore it.

This morning when my alarm went off at 5AM- like it does every morning, I woke up feeling awful. My head was all stuffy, my ears hurt, my throat felt like I was swallowing shards of glass, and I had a bad headache. Innate told me to go back to bed, skip the gym, so I did. I did get up and go to work- as it was the first of the month and I had to do the monthly close out.

About 10:30 Innate told me I needed to be home in bed. I left work, stopped at the local deli and get a cup of matzo ball soup, while I was in the deli- the Devil on my shoulder was trying to convince me that I needed some chocolate covered jelly filled cookies, but I didn’t listen. I came home had my soup, a big bottle of water and went to bed. I slept for several hours and awoke feeling a bit better. Innate always knows…

My coach keeps telling me Innate will never forget or forsake me, Innate will always lead me in the right direction. It’s taken me a long while to get this, and I think I only have it sometimes, but he is so RIGHT!!!

Do you know when Innate is talking to you- it isn’t the voice telling you that you need chocolate covered fudge pop tarts.

You learn a lot in the journey of life.

No comments: