Thursday, April 23, 2009

Visit with my ETN today.

I had an early morning appointment with my Ear, Nose and Throat doctor today. We discussed my frequent and lingering Strep throats- I have had 7 of them in the last 6 months..... ARGGGGG

He confirmed that in fact my tonsils have GROWN BACK!!! Lucky me...

Even better- after being on an antibotic for 2 weeks and having just come off it- I have strep AGAIN...

I love this doctor - he is by far the greatest. He was very very straight with me- he said that the removal of tonsils - surgery wise at any age is an easy surgery from the surgeons stand point. 45 minutes snipe snipe over and done with. HOWEVER, the recover is a misery the older you are. 26 yrs ago at the age of 19 the recovery was not fun... He assures me that it would be even less fun this time around.

Wanting to spear me that misery he has decided to put me on a very strong antibotic for the next month ( like the 2 weeks worth didn't already cause a yeast infection).
After a month on this one I will have to go back for another throat culture- if there is still signs of strep- we will have no choice but to remove them AGAIN....

If this bout is cleared up we will have to keep a watchful eye on them for a while.

He confimed what I already suspected that they were very swollen as swallowing is very difficult right now. He recommend COLD COLD drinks and rest.

Now to the REST thing- I have been feeling a bit like Rip Van Winkle lately- all I seem to want to do is sleep. My coach and I had discussed this and he thinks its my cortisol levels coming down, and my body's way of adjusting to the many changes.

THe ENT agrees with that and thinks that my body is also trying like made to fight off this strep infection and ralling all his resourses to do that. So he said SLEEP..

On a side note- he was soo shocked when he saw me today- last time I saw him was when he released me from my sinus surgery at the begining of last August. He was so impressed with the weight loss, and how I looked.... ( Made me feel good he noticed)

I have stocked up on probotics and yogurt with probotics in it. We will see what the next month brings.

Thanks

P.S.My good friend Jeff will be starting the American odyess relay tomorrow AM- this is a 200 mile relay race from Gettysburg to Washington DC. I wish him the best and hope all goes well for him. Here it the link to his blog if you are interested-http://www.formerlyfatrunningguy.blogspot.com/

No comments: