Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A slow come back

Wow this last week has not been the greatest. Last Tuesday I noticed some swelling under my jaw line on the right side and then later in the day swelling of the glands in my groin and under my arm. Wednesday brought more swelling and a scheduled visit to my PCP for a meds check. She did a strep test and it showed positive right away.
She put me on an antibotic and did a Mono blood test and sent me home to bed.
By Friday the swelling was really bad, and my throat felt like I was swollowing lite matches. When I called my PCP her nurse advised me that they had no appointments available as it was a holiday ( Good Friday), they advised if I felt that bad I should go to Patient first or the ER. I picked Patient First. I had a friend take me.

The Doctor at Patient First was very nice- he did a strep test which came back positive, a MONO test which came back negative ( thats a good thing) diagnosised me with a severe strep throat and virus. Advised bed rest and fluids- yeah right I was having a hard time swollowing my own spit.

On the way back my friend and I stopped at Safe Way, got some grape juice - the orange juice I had been trying to drink was just too much for my throat, some vita waters, some soft cheese, yogurt and sherbert. Not exactly on my eating plan but it was all soft and easily swollewed.

To bed I went with my trusted heating pad on my face- the doctor had recommend the heat to promote blood flow to the area to help the swelling.

I'm getting a bit of cabin fever- I'm not a good intervort - I like people I like being out and about.

Tomorrow will be my first day back at work. I am actually looking forward to go to the office.

Not being able to eat or drink, has surely helped my weight loss, between Wednesday and Friday I had dropped 4 pounds, but I know I was pretty dehydrated Friday.

As for the low back and leg pain and muscle spasms- they are much better- now only being awoke once a night with charlie horses, which is a far far cry better then the every 10 minutes I was experiencing last week.

I am hoping to be back in the Gym on Thursday. I have missed it alot- Yes I did just say that.

I missed seeing my Sister in law Confirmed a Catholic on Saturday night and Missed Easter with my Nephews on Sunday but I couldnt take a chance of getting them ill.

I am viewing this as a minor bump in the road- its a bit fruastrating to know I have been working hard at being healthy to be TKOed by a virus and strep for a week, but such is life.

Its all part of the journey.....

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Glad you're on the mend. GET WELL!! You are missed!