Friday, November 21, 2008

Ramblings on a Cold Friday night

It's a very cold Friday night here in Maryland, so here are some of my thoughts and ramblings tonight.

Pets- Today my kitten Ariel had surgery to be spayed. I was a nervous wreck all day- as it was just a year ago that my first kitten Sebastian died while being neutered due to a hole in his heart. I am pleased to report that Ariel's surgery went well and she is recovering nicely at the vet's. I get to bring her home tomorrow afternoon.
It about broke my heart last night when she gave me this hurt sad look, as I picked her food and water bowls up.

Snow- I HATE IT. It was snow showering here today, ALOT. When we left the office for lunch- it was like a white out , mess. No it didnt stick to the ground, but still it had everyone crazy. Currently our office is next to a Mars grocery store. No joke they had lines all the way to the back of the store today with people waiting to check out. What where they buying- well of course - Milk, Bread, eggs and Toliet paper.

Shopping- I never used to pay much attention to the lay out of stores , but now I am begining to wonder if store lay outs could be contributing to the obesity problem in this country . I stopped at CVS on my way home, I needed a dicongestant for my nose, and some vitamins that I was out of.
The second I stepped into the store- bam- this is a huge rack of gourment chocolates, then its an aisle full of cakes, cookies, and other candies. Then an aisle full of sodas, and ice creams. These are the first 5 aisles of the store. OMG this is unbelievable in a DRUG store. No I was not even tempted. I got my decongestant, my vitamin B12, Vitamin C and D, and 2 bottles of Fugi water, and was out the door as quickly as I could be.

Water- I never thought much about water- but now that I am drinking alot of it, its became more of a priority. I like Fugi water the best- its just got a cleaner, almost sweeter taste to it.

Holidays- Well we have the first in the Triple crown of Dieters Hell next week. Thanksgiving- please don't get me wrong- I love being with my family, but I prefer to do it on my own terms and in short doses. Being a widow, my brother automatically expects I will be going to his house for dinner. Well that isn't so bad - really kind of not bad .I guess. I have to pick my Grandmother up first- she lives 35 miles in the opposite direction from my brother's, she doesn't hear well, she doesn't like people, she hates being around my nephews, and generally will be cranky all day. Then my sister in law calls me to day to ask my to pick up wine- not a problem. I ask what she is serving. Turkey ( of course) my brother is going to deep fry it- oh well that makes it healthy?????- what else I ask- candied sweet pototoes, mashed pototoes, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, honey glazed carrotts, asparagas in hollandaise, home made rolls with sweet butter, and jellied cranberry sauce. ( Note none of these are things I am able to eat on my plan) Oh yeah my brother is making a Chocolate ,chocolate chip, mint chip, cheesecake for dessert.

I love my family- but would much rather stay at home and order shrimp chow mein from my favorite chineese place.

Dinner- cooking for 1 person SUCKS. Thank heavens for my mini George Forman Grill- it's perfect for just 1 person. Tonight- I grilled a piece of sirlon, and had some steamed veggies. I hate cooking for just myself.

Well thats about it for my ramblings tonight.
Enjoy the journey

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Ter -- It's good that you're thinking about the menu for the holidays. As you said, that menu is pretty much a zero.

Some thoughts: eat the turkey, but no skin -- better than fried skin, offer to bring a salad and/or veggies, bring a sweet potato to stick in the oven.

Deb makes a fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding pie. You could make one and bring it.

Or, there's always Sunny Lee's!

mem said...

Terry, I have been worrying about that too. My sister and I are having lunch at the nursing home with our Dad.
I am bringing a sugar- fee banana pudding for him and maybe I will have a tiny bit. The carbs in the dressing!!!! I don't eat meat just seafood and I am at a loss for vittels for that day..LOL

I guess I will bring balsamic like Jeff says and just have a salad and the veggies. We can do this and your right I would just as soon stay home and eat. BUT we have to live and enjoy life, we can't hide from food. Hey it is just food right? I'm glad it can't talk. I hear it talking to me sometimes LOL Hey fat girl yeah you come on over here and have a bite you little weak wussy.

Good luck Terry, wish me luck too.