Friday, November 14, 2008

My Program

I have been asked by a couple of people what program I am using. Well Coach Dr. Joe has a program based on a book called the Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity- by Daniel Reid. He had me read the book when we first started – he calls it a bible- I tend to agree and would recommend the book to anyone.

So there were 8 components we needed to address to start me on my weight loss journey.

#1- As the book talks about- we have to have a balanced PH in our bodies- our bodies have to be balance. Chemistry was never my strong suit. However I did understand what the book was talking about. When we eat protein the body produces an enzyme to break it down, that enzyme is very acidic – it needs to be to break down the proteins. When we eat a carb or starch the body produces an enzyme that is much more alkaline to breakdown the carbs. So when we eat things like a cheeseburger on a bun or pizza- the body produces both and they cancel each other out. Those nothing gets digested and the food just lays there. So it’s important that I eat 1 thing at a time to keep the PH balanced.

#2- Fueling the Machine- when we first start, Coach Dr. Joe asked me if money were no object and I could have any car I wanted – what would it be? My answer was an ASTON MARTIN- then he asked me if the owner’s manual stated to use only high test unleaded gas in the car, and for what every reason I decided to put diesel in the gas tank- how well would the car run. Like Crap. Some goes for our bodies. So we talked a bit more about what I crave- sugar- sweet things. Ok so we have a few simple and easy food rules. Fruit starts the day- fresh and health, and as much as I want. Rule #2 Veggies go with everything. #3- Protein first, #4 its better to eat several small meals then 1 or 2 large ones.

#3- SLEEP- I wasn’t getting enough sleep- there are 2 reasons sleep is important. #1- When the body doesn’t get enough sleep it goes into STRESS mode, stress mode means the body starts to produce excessive levels of a hormone called CORTISOL. Cortisol is nature in our bodies- it’s called the internal alarm clock. However in high levels it slows the metabolism, inflames the joints and keeps us awake, thus cause a cycle of stress and no sleep and stress and no sleep. The second is most sleep deprived people tend to eat too much and eat the wrong stuff to keep themselves away and energized.

#4- Hydration- WATER WATER WATER- so important and something I frequently forget. The human body needs water. I used to drink a lot of coke, iced tea and ginger ale. Not good – these things do nothing to rehydrate the body. Currently I am shooting for 200 ounces of water a day- not there yet but I am working on it.
#5-Core stability- Because of events in my past, my core i.e. my pelvis has become unstable- so Coach Dr. Joe has me doing a bunch of strengthen and stabilizing stretches and exercise. They are working and I am walking better.
#6- Exercise- I sit for a living- like a lot of us do. So one of the first things Coach Dr. Joe had me do was purchase a “GOFIT- PRO GYM band set” this are easy to use and very portable. They came with a DVD on how to use them. There are simple yet effective exercises. I do about 20 to 30 minutes of band exercise each evening after work.
#7- Breathing- don’t laugh I know breathing is automatic but I am taking about specific breathing, breathing from the diaphragm. This isn’t as easy as it may seem. One of the practices I am working on is laying flat on the bed with a book over my navel- the object is to make the book go up and down- this isn’t easy.
#8- My head space- We all create stories about ourselves- mine is that I am worthless, so in my world why should I bother, but that doesn’t work at this point. I am worth it, and am worth the work this journey is taking.

So that’s my program.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Program sounds like a winner -- and you are too!

Jeff said...

Sounds great Terry.

Nice outline -- don't need to read the book now!

BTW, you look great. The losses are really showing.

FerdyV said...

Hey Terry!
I'm so very proud of you and your immense and powerful spirit to overcome any obstacles. You have been through such a lot in your short life that this is your time now. I've lost almost 49lbs since April and have gone down 3 dress sizes. My tightest pants were falling off me today. I'm going to take them in this weekend as they are work pants! Ha ha!

Keep up the great work. You have a very good coach to see you through this and I know you'll make it.

Love you always - Fernanda