Sunday, August 23, 2009

A week not as I had planned


This week’s accomplishments: - 8/17/09-8/23/09

No gym allowed till after September 1, no exercise allowed either. (I’d make a pouty face but that hurts the facial muscles too much)

This has been a very low key week for me. Monday morning at 7AM I checked into GBMC for my second tonsillectomy. My friend Dawn drove me; we were home by 12:30 or so. A few minor complications during and after surgery, but no big deal. The Doctor had a hard time getting the right side of my throat to stop bleeding because of the old scar tissue, and then when they were trying to wake me up my blood sugar had dropped down to 30. Both were a bit scary but completely handled by the hospital staff.

Of course my coach is going to groan when he hears that the way they brought my blood sugars up were to give me 2 regular ginger ales and a grape Popsicle.

Thanks to the Demerol prescription I have been sleeping a lot this week. My coach always tells me to listen to my body, it’s the best doctor in the world, and well this week my body has been saying “sleep so we can heal”. So I have listened and slept. I have been told that the body heals much more rapidly while asleep then awake.

Last weekend my Boss and I attended a Chiropractic meeting in King of Prussia PA, my coach was there, he told me afterwards that I had a glow, that it was the life energy radiating from with in... Well there is no glow this week. In fact everyone that has come to see me has commented on how pale and wiped out I look. Amazing how that changed so fast. In many ways I feel like I have let my coach and myself down this week. I was fully planning on being back to work by Thursday or Friday of this last week and feeling much much better than I do right now… In a nut shell this surgery kicked my a- -.

I have this wonderful cat- a year or so ago when I was first looking into getting a kitten I was told that cats were a source of unconditional love. Well my Ariel is just that. Late Tuesday night I got up sick to my stomach, I sent hours in the bathroom. Finally falling asleep early Wednesday morning. When I woke up Wednesday afternoon, Ariel had pulled both her blankets, her pink teddy bear, her white teddy bear, her squeaky mouse, her crunchy fish and both her jingle bell balls on to my bed, and had them laid out next to me. I am told that when cats bring you presents like this, it’s to show love and comfort. I am not really sure what I was supposed to do with all her toys but I thought it was a very lovely gesture. Ariel has been at my side all week long. She hasn’t left me alone long. That is her in the photo above.

This week has been made a lot easier by some of the wonderful friends in my life- Thanks to Dawn for taking me to and from the hospital, getting my medication filled and checking in on me all week. Thanks to my brother, sister in law and the boys for the lovely flowers, pudding, soup and slurpees. Thanks to Gina for the ice crusher I couldn’t have made it thru this week without it. Thanks to Vicki and Neil for the greatest chicken motzah ball soup I have ever had. Thanks to Margie for calling and coming by to check on me. THanks to Joe for seeing to Ariel's needs. Thanks to my boss for keeping the office running in my absence and for looking in on me. Thanks to my coach for the lesson “always listen to your body”- that has been an invaluable lesson this week, and for being my champion even when I am feeling down. And of course thanks to Dr. McCorkle and the staff at GBMC’s Sherwood surgical center for all their great care.

Tonsil surgery is but a bump in the road on this journey.

No comments: