Sunday, February 6, 2011

Celebrating Life

CELEBRATING LIFE
Celebration
Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration
We gonna celebrate and have a good time


Kool and the gang sang this song in the midst of my adolescent. I loved the song then and still do.

I have talked about this before and will continue to do so- every day is cause for celebrating but there are some events that should be celebrated more than others.
This past Wednesday I quietly celebrated what would have been my Parent’s 48th anniversary. I celebrated not only their marriage but what their marriage produced, and the love that was uniquely theirs.

Next Monday we all celebrate my favorite holiday of the year. Valentine’s Day. Why is this my favorite holiday? Well yes it is expressed with lots of pink and red hearts, roses, and chocolates all favorite things of mine, but more than that it’s a holiday about love. I am not talking about just the love of a couple but the love of family, friends, pets, and most importantly the LOVE OF LIFE it’s self.
In just about a month I will be celebrating my 47th birthday. WOW – how did that happen? Well we all know I have been working at altering my life style. It’s an even bigger WOW given that in 1993 I was diagnosed with a death sentence and given 22 months to live. That was 18 years ago, not only am I still alive, but I am really living my life, I have lost 270lbs which NO one including me thought possible. I am doing things I never thought I would, things like dancing in the streets of Disney with Chip and Dale, swimming in the Caribbean, and being named Chiropractic Assistant of the year. All amazing given that 22 months sentence 18 years ago.

Maybe because of this, I try to celebrate each day. I really is amazing to me that I can swing my feet to the floor each morning, stand and walk unassisted, go to work and love our patients and staff, work for someone I am blessed to call my best friend, go to Vegas and have a great time, spend time with my family and friends.

When I thought I was worthless, life was not worth celebrating. Nothing was, but now that I have altered my headspace everything in my life is altered. No I really have no plans at the moment on how I am going to celebrate my birthday, but I will be celebrating it.

Celebrations for me are no longer about food. Food is just the fuel my body needs to keep going. Just like putting gas in the car. I have marked each 50lb weight loss with a special reward or celebration for myself, a new digital camera, and Acer netbook, a pink sapphire ring, a Sony reader, and a pink eternity ring.

When most people hear CELEBRATIONS they think of milestone birthdays, weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, etc. But everyday should be a celebrations, everyday is special, when my Grandma passed away she had bunches of dresses hanging in her closet with the tags still on them, all waiting for “a special occasion”, I found it sad that dinner out with my Grandfather, or her weekly high mass where she sang on the Choir were not “special” enough to have warranted wearing one of these beautiful dresses that would then be going to a charity.

CELEBRATE EVERYDAY!!!! Every day is special.

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that my wonderful Coach’s birthday is tomorrow. I hope you celebrate Dr. Wood. May your birthday be as special as you are
.
Celebrate good times, come on!
It's a celebration
Celebrate good times, come on!
Let's celebrate


There are many ways to celebrate this journey. How will you celebrate yours?

Love and Laughter

Hoorah

Terry

No comments: