Sunday, February 27, 2011

47 Candles


47 candles

No I do not actually want 47 candles on anything this week. But the movie 16 candles was 1 of my favorites so I borrowed the title from the movie.

On Wednesday of this week I turn 47, thinking about that makes me wonder- HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? For many many reasons this really is amazing to me. I started thinking about all the reasons why I shouldn’t be here to celebrate this birthday.

• I have a birth trauma called a Chairi 1 malformation- that many many folks have huge issues with, and that can lead to death.
• 28 years ago I was hit by a speeding Buick- the car damaged my knee, low back and internal parts.
• A diagnosis 18 years ago, of Cushing’s disease, with a prognosis of 18-22 months to live.
• Blood sugars that were spiraling out of control, even 220 units of injected insulin weren’t controlling it.
• Uncontrolled Morbid Obesity- weights that would broke a normal scale.
• Severe depression after the death of my late husband.

That is all the past. Today I am happier healthy and living life to the fullest more than I ever have. It hard for me to remember at times how much of a struggle things used to be for me. The steps at the office used to scare me, I thought I’d have to quit my job because I couldn’t do the steps and now I do them several times a day without thinking about it. I was using a cane all the time, now a days I am not even sure where the cane is. I needed one of these motorized carts to go shopping at the grocery store, Wal mart, or Lowes, today I walk the stores without issue. There are so many other things that I now do without even thinking about it that it amaze me.

The most amazing part for me has been the reduction in Medications; I think it was April or May of 2010 that I last needed an injection of insulin. Once I was on super high doses of 3 different high blood pressure medications, today I am on 1 and that one’s dose has gone from 150mg a day to 5 mg a day. When I began this journey I was taking 17 medications a day, now I am taking 4 medications. I hope to soon be off most of those too.

Life really is great these days. I find I am moving easier and easier in the gym, in the office and in life. LIFE really is a gift. A gift to be celebrated.

Yes, 47 is cause for celebrating. One of our patients told me that other day that he celebrates his own birthday, his wife’s and his children’s birthday all month long the month of their birthdays. I really like that; I think I will be celebrating thru the month of March. HOW? I have no idea…

Wednesday we are having a Pink Day at the office to celebrating. I have requested pink cupcakes. Yes, I know not part of the new lifestyle, but I am betting even my Coach will say have 1 and enjoy.

The photo attached was taken on March 2, 2008 I was 44, 6 months before I met my amazing coach, it was taken while I was having dinner with friends, but I felt uncomfortable and miserable. This year will be much different.

There are milestones days during this Journey- they need to be acknowledged and celebrated.

Love and Laughter

Hoorah

Terry

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Happy Birthday, my friend! I'm glad you are healthier and happier than you were this time last year. Just imagine next year!