Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are you alive?

Are you alive?
I do not mean do you have a heart beat or brain function- clearly you have both or you would not be reading this. I am talking about are you living or existing?
When I was younger I would tell folks my weight doesn’t stop me- and for the most part in my teens, twenties and early thirties it really didn’t. But then as you all know life took some interesting twists for me – and I slowed down, eat, and slowed down even more. By the time Edward passed away – I was in my early forties and felt awkward and uncomfortable doing things. Sure I still traveled for work, but for the most part I found excuses NOT be social.
When I started thinking about the last couple of weeks, I realize how much that has changed. Last weekend my boss and I hosted a Chiropractic mastermind meeting at our office. This meant we spent Saturday running around getting the needed supplies for the lunch. Sunday all day I was at the office having a great time. This Thursday I attended a cocktail party hosted by a couple of friends where my boss and I met with a new Web designer. Friday night friends Dave and Rich were in a comedy showcase which was a lot of fun, and Saturday afternoon was my longest friend Jeff and his family’s good bye party as they are soon moving to Texas. I had a great time at all these events. It occurred to me that 2 years ago I would have found excused to NOT attended any of these events.
These days I want to be more active. As I blogged a while ago I am still trying to figure out how to make friends at this age. I watch shows like Sex in the City and long for that kind of female camaraderie, that kind of bonding and friendship. But I am living my life and enjoying it completely.
My weight loss hero Richard Simmons blogged the other day about are you hiding from the world or are you engaging in living? I feel like I am starting to engage in living again.
This journey is so much fun.
Love and Laughter
Hoorah
Terry

No comments: