Sunday, March 21, 2010

Do you eat your way thru the Calendar?

Do you eat your way thru the Calendar?

I was thinking about this the other day. Most of our holidays and celebrations revolve around FOOD.

Let’s look at it this way.


January-
New Years- In my family this was a big “feast” day with lots of traditional Polish food- Kalbesi, Perogies, Stuffed cabbage rolls, and some favorite American dishes like pot roast and potatoes.
Super bowl Sunday- Pigs in a blanket ( hot dogs in croissant rolls) Mom’s hot crab dip and those thin French bread slices baked to a crisp for dipping into said dip.

February
2nd was my parents wedding anniversary- their shared favorite meal was Chicken and Dumplings followed by Banana’s foster.
14th is Valentine’s day- there were always chocolates and candies in the house for this event, Mom always made cupcakes, heart shaped cookies, etc
19th was my Dad’s Birthday- his favorite dish was Hot Dogs sliced down the middle /stuffed with Velveeta cheese, covered in tomato paste and baked in the oven, this meal was always accompanied with Homemade Mac and cheese. Followed by German Chocolate Cake

March
2nd Is my birthday- my favorite dish as a kid was Chicken Pot Pie and biscuits, followed by an Ice cream cake
17th- St. Patty’s Day- Mom would make Corn beef and Cabbage- which I didn’t like so she would order me a pizza for dinner

April
Easter- OH MY- let’s see Easter breakfast was- Hard boiled eggs, Kalbesi, Pancakes, Omelets, toast, bacon, etc- Dinner- was glazed ham, Mac and cheese, mash potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, peas, rolls/breads, a butter lamb, etc lots of desserts and LETS not forget the EASTER BASKETS that contained my all time favorite Mary Sue Peanut butter eggs, jelly beans, peeps and other assorted candies.

May
1st MAY Day- this was a big Polish Custom or so I am told- May Day meant lots of Coconut baked goods
Mother’s day- was the Day my Dad traditional broke out the BBQ grill and cooked- he would make Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, BBQ Chicken, Ribs, grilled sausage, etc
Memorial Day- Pool Party- BBQ- again Hamburgers, hot dogs, Ribs, Potatoes salad, Macaroni salad, etc

June
Father’s day- Meat and Potatoes, corn, followed by tons of desserts

July
4th- Big Pool Party- Steamed crabs, the usual BBQ stuff, lots of people, lots of foods.

August
8- Was My Dad’s parents Anniversary – Dinner at a restaurant that usual featured Fried foods
27- My Mom’s Parents Anniversary- Dinner at their favorite place – lots of seafood

September
Labor Day- Another BBQ
29th was my Brother’s birthday- His Favorites were either Lasagna or Spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, followed by Ice cream cake.

October-
25th- Mom’s Birthday- Dinner was some kind of seafood, with pasta, followed by Black Forest cake
Halloween- the Dieters HELL- Candy abound

November
Thanksgiving- Turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes made with pineapple, brown sugar and marshmallows, corn in butter sauce, peas, rolls, followed but a ton of desserts

December
Christmas cookies, homemade candies, cakes, breaks, fruit cakes all month long
Christmas Eve was dinner at our favorite Chinese Restaurant- egg rolls, shrimp toast, fried dumplings, fried rice, sweet and sore chicken, etc
Christmas breakfast – Bagels, Donuts, My Mom’s Monkey bread, Danish, hot chocolate, chocolate milk,
Christmas dinner- Turkey, Ham, Oyster stuffing, Mashed potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, corn, etc…


I swear I have gained 20 lbs just writing this blog. My Mom and Dad were both good cooks. But every CELEBRATION involved huge amounts of unhealthy foods.

Find a new way to CELEBRATE. As I have said I do not need an excuse to celebrate- Yesterday was the warmest day we have had in 2010- it was 72 degrees- to celebrate my friend and I took a ride in his convertible – top down- it felt so good to have the wind in my hair and the sun on my face.

Celebrations are great- but do they have to involve foods?

The journey has many celebrations- let’s find ways to enjoy them without food.

Love and Laughter

Hoorah

Terry

No comments: