Sunday, January 17, 2010

Life is an adventure

Life is an adventure

Life truly is an adventure. This week my life took me to the annual Parker Chiropractic Seminar in Las Vegas.
With my knee being as swollen and painful as it is, my boss convinced me that it would be best to do the airports in a wheel chair to save the knee some pain of walking. Early Wednesday morning he and I drive to BWI airport and boarded a plane for Atlanta- the flight landed in Atlanta early and without incident. The Sky cap assigned to meet me at the gate with the wheel chair had only pushed the chair about 20 feet when she steered me right into the door jam bashing the right knee. I saw stars.

The flight from Atlanta to Vegas was very pleasant- I dosed on and off while listening to my iPod thru my new Bose ear buds. At the baggage claim area we discovered that my rolling duffle bag had been ripped across the bottom. Since no one was there to handle my claim of a damaged bag I was given an 800 customer service number to call and on Friday afternoon the airline delivered me a new bag to the hotel.

Parker Chiropractic seminars – Las Vegas is the largest gathering of Chiropractors in the US. It’s always amazing, and I always come home – touch moved and inspired. This year one of the speakers that touch, moved and inspired me the most was Brigadier Gen. Becky Halstead, Gen Halstead is a 6 star General, from the second class at West Point that allowed Females. One of the things she said has stuck in my mind- “ There are 2 rules in life #1 Never ever quit, #2- when all else fails referrer to rule #1. General Halstead also taught us a new word one I really really like and am going to make a part of my vocabulary. The word is HOORA- she says it means anything but NO- that pretty much sums up my life- I don’t quit, and I’m all about anything but NO.

Parker Seminar’s President is Dr. Fabrizio Mancini. He an amazingly happy and upbeat man. He said that is always happy because he receives at least 150 hugs a day, and how could anyone be depressed being hugged that much every day. Well I don’t know about that, I do love hugs but not sure I could handle that many a day. However, I do know that he believes so much in the Chiropractic profession and he always smells so good; as those of you reading this that know me well- know that I usually do not like men’s colognes. I have no idea what cologne Dr. Mancini wears but I know that I every time I hug him- he smells great. The Vice President of Parker Seminars is an amazing chiropractor Named Dr. Gilles LaMarche. I am always touched moved and inspired when he speaks as well. This year he shared a very personal story about how Chiropractic care saved his own life. I cannot tell you how amazing the energy is when you are with so many like minded people. I wanted to take a moment here to Say thank you so much Drs Mancini and LaMarche for all the work you put into these amazing seminars.

This year’s seminars were even more special because my friends Drs Arthur and Brandie Nemchenko joined us at my suggestion. They had a great time, I think. My dear Friend Naomi Chance was awarded the Parker CA of the year award. Congrats Naomi an honor well deserved. Parker Seminars has become a change to see many of my Chiropractic family from around the country. Dr. Steve and Naomi Chance from Florida, Yolanda with foot levelers from Roanoke VA, The Nemchenko’ s are from King of Prussia , PA, Dr. Wren is from Texas, Dr. Scott and Greta Garber from Massachusetts, Kathy Mills Chang from Denver and many others. There was something so amazing for me to be holding Naomi’s hand on the right and Dr. Arthur’s on the left swaying to “we are the world” during the closing session. Dr. Rick Wren led the closing and it was a very emotional event for all in the room.
My boss Dr. Lipman had made arrangements for Dr. Mark Charrette to asses and adjust my knee, he did an awesome job- he used a technique called Russian bone setting, yes it hurt while he was doing it, but it did help. He too agrees that the knee is a huge mess. Dr. Charrette is known throughout the chiropractic profession as one of its extremity adjusting gurus. I spent a good bit of my non-seminar time sitting with my knee packed in ice- thanks to the swelling the door jam caused. I will be seeking a second opinion this week with an orthopedic doctor that comes highly recommended by a good friend.

As for the weight loss- I continue to loss, just at a slower pace than I was. Yes Vegas posed many temptations, I did really really well avoiding most of them, HOWEVER- Saturday morning the breakfast buffet got the best of me- they had Chocolate covered donuts and chocolate milk on the buffet – two of my former favorites. I decided to indulge – I had 1 glass of chocolate milk and 1 chocolate covered donut – yes they tasted very good, but the stomachache I had an hour later- was NOT worth it. (Yeah Coach I know- sooner or later I will learn)

I have a goal for next year- I want my friend Dr. Dave and Rich Madow speaking from the Parker stage helping Chiropractors manage their businesses they way they have been doing for Dentists for years, I also want my coach Dr. Joe Wood on that Parker stage teaching Chiropractors how to get their patients out of Pain quickly, he has written a book about it called Miracles in Minutes.

As I close, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Haiti. If you have not already done so I urge you to donate to the red cross to help with the relief efforts there.

Remember don’t quit, this journey is worth it.

Love and Laughter

HOORA

Terry

1 comment:

sarah said...

This is a beautiful story. In my own experience, loving myself just the way i am is the key. So I hope that you continue giving yourself the love and encouragement you need to be the beautiful person you are!