Wednesday, December 10, 2008

When did dating become so scary?

Disclaimer- I am NOT men bashing. For the most part I love guys, have more male friends then female ones" with that said-

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH GUYS THESE DAYS?

As a middle aged widow- I decided a few months ago to get back into the dating world.
I consider myself fairly web savvy so I put a few profiles up on some online dating sites. I even used a few that specialize in BBWs and their admirers.

I get a lot of emails from guys that are in Nigeria or some other strange place- I don't even waste my time with these- I just assume they are scammers.

Then there are the guys I consider to be just sickos. The guys that "break the ice" by asking if i will sit on them and urinate, or worse things.

Occasionally there are a few that appear normal at first. A few weeks ago a guy emailed me from one of the sites, he seemed nice- we chatted on line for a bit- he asked if I would be available tomorrow- I told him maybe, I'd have to check my work schedule. But that I might be able to do lunch. I didn't hear from again till today- I explained that I have been sick with a cold and bad cough all week ( which I have) and that I was going to stay in tomorrow.
He flipped out on me- started telling me how I was playing games with him and how he had purchased tickets to some Comedy club in DC for us for tomorrow night. WHAT???? I never agreed to any of that....

He said me an email demanding that I pay for 1/2 the cost of the tickets.

WHAT????

I politely told him NO. I had not agreed to any of that.

The next email from him was nastier and a bit threatening- but I let it go,

The 3rd email was a down right threatening, then the 2 voice mails from his friends.

Again WHAT???????

So I being smarter then that average bear called the police. Very nice police officer came- read the emails and said yes they were threatening and then I played the voice mail messages for her and she agreed and understood my concern.

She called him and told him to leave me alone or he would be charged.

When did this became Dating?

Granted its been 25 yrs since I dated my husband. But seriously is this what dating is now?

1 comment:

mem said...

What!!! You have got to be kidding? See, I think that is why I am gonna just live as a divorced woman alone for ever.Are you OK? Didn't that freak you out???
Terry I think about dating sometimes but I am not a good judge of character. I am the one who until recently had 5 rescue pets. Now I just have 3, two of them died of old age.
A good friend who passed away told me to go do what I loved to do and I would meet someone there doing the same thing and we would have things in common. The only guys at the flea market are gay..LOL
Poor thing, I feel your pain where are all the regular people? Beats me...I'm just gonna stay home safe and sound.