Sunday, April 18, 2010

Do you have balance?

Do you have Balance?

I am not talking about the kind of balance where you can stand on 1 foot and not wobble over- although that is a very important thing to have.
I am also not talking about the hormonal/chemical balance – but that too is also very important.
I am talking about the kind of life balance. My boss’ late Uncle used to say that all work and not play made you dull, and all play and no work made you broke. How accurate this statement is.
I have been feeling very down all week- so I started doing some serious soul searching and have discovered I am very out of balance.
I work, I have work friends/acquaintances, and I have work activities and sometimes even work social events.
It wasn’t always this way- Years ago I was very active in the Jaycees, and different things in the community and even some things with the church.
But then I started taking care of My ill Parents, Mom passed away first , then Dad had a devastating injury related to his 4th heart attack, so I cared for him, all the while Edward’s health deteriorated . I was busy caring for the 3 people I loved most in the world. Their illnesses and injuries were debilitated to them, they really did not want others to see them, and so I became isolated with them. I worked and took care of them. Trust me this was like working 2 full time jobs or more.
Mom passed away in 1996, Dad in 2003, within 5 weeks Ed had a series of strokes, became totally bedridden. He needed so much care, that I could not even think about anything but work and his care.
In December of 2006 when he passed away I was devastated, depressed and left with NO clue what to do with my non working hours. So I starting bring stuff home from work to do. I invented new work projects for myself – like learning social media marketing, writing blogs and learning as much as I can about good headspace techniques. Yep I work and I do work things.
I have come to the conclusion that I am out of balance-I have mostly work and work stuff. And sadly I have no clue how to build new social relationships. I am too old for Jaycees, have gotten away from the church. I did join a local chapter of the Red Hat Society but – that didn’t work out- the ladies were all retired, and met on Tuesday afternoons once a month, which just became impossible for me- I have way too much to do at work to be leaving at noon for a luncheon, especially since every Tuesday I listen to a teletrainging call.
My physical being isn’t helping the state of depression either- 2 days this week I have been in bed with a fever and chills. The 3 bacterial infections have no cleared up, and I am still feeling lethargic and wiped out all the time.
We will not even discuss how much of a nightmare dating is…. It’s just not worth the time it would take to type it all out.
So tonight’s blog is asking- How do you build social relationships in you mid 40’s?

No matter where the Journey takes us- remember it’s worth the ride.

Love and Laughter

Horrah

Terry

No comments: