Sunday, December 5, 2010

Remembering, being sad and NOT over eating

Remembering, being sad and NOT over eating

Yesterday December 4 was the 4th anniversary of the day my husband passed. Yes I was sad, I was tempted to just eat my way thru the day and not care. After all his passing triggered such an eating frenzy that I gained almost 100 lbs.

So instead of eating Ice Cream, Cup Cakes, Pop Tarts, and Donuts, which my brain told me I wanted. I did have a somewhat descent lunch- the bread of the sandwich was the worst part. The fresh crab, shrimp, ham and cheddar were ok.

However, I knew I needed to do something so that I did not sit at home and eat. To honor my husband a good friend and I when to Emmitsburg MD, to the Basilica of Saint Elizabeth Seton. This was place my husband and I would visit a couple of times a year when he was well. I lit 4 candles in his memory, said a few prayers. This was a very cathartic thing for me. Being in a place where we both attended mass, a place that we both held as special. I miss him for sure, but I know where he is at is a better place, and his pain is gone.

So when you are having a bad day, tempted to eat your way thru a bad memory, go do something, that means something to you.

As for the rest of life, it’s going ok. On Thursday I will be having a cyst removed from the top of my head. It has grown between the bone and skin, so it’s an easy procedure to remove it. I will have staples in my head for a while and will need to keep my head covered, but even the surgeon said I would be able to return to work on Friday. The hope is that with the pressure off the skull some of the symptoms I have been experience will subside.

This journey doesn’t have to be sedentary. Move thru the grief, fear, etc, and of course it’s always good to have a friend along.

Love and Laughter

Hoorah

Terry

No comments: